Thursday, June 28, 2007

First Round Thoughts

Before I get into the Second Round, I want to say some thoughts on the First Round. First of all, I think the only surprises were Tucker and Brooks. I just don't understand why the Rockets and Suns draft those guys. The Rockets have James, Alston, and Luther Head as an emergency point guard, and so they draft Brooks? Have they seen Brooks? He's a 5'11'' shooting guard! Awful pick, truly awful. You're telling me McRoberts or Fazekas can't make more of an impact here? Brooks is not a guy that you want to give a guaranteed contract to, and frankly I don't see him lasting in the NBA past that first contract.

When it comes to Tucker, I just don't know why he goes ahead of Derrick Byars, or even Josh McRoberts for the Suns. Byars can do everything Tucker can, although he's a little less athletic, and brings a ton more to the table. I just don't understand that pick from the Suns perspective. Yes Alando has experience catching alley-oops, which is something he'll need to play with Steve Nash, but is that why you take him? I don't understand. Otherwise, all of the picks were more or less defensible and understandable. I don't know about Wilson Chandler, but Zeke has the trust of NYC with his track record. I also don't understand the Splitter pick as far as the Spurs have Luis Scola's draft rights, and he's a much better player on the same European team as Tiago. But he's a good player and the Spurs aren't hurting for immediate help obviously.

No comments: